Saturday, February 4, 2012

FEAR OF THE LORD

Jesus said, “Fear not.”

Yet we are told to fear the Lord.

A contradiction? Let’s see.

“Fear” can have different meanings. Jesus commands us to “fear not”. This kind of fear refers to the fact that we need to live believing the Lord is in control. If I believe that in that fact, (see my blog “Like a Little Child”) then I have no reason to fear the outcome of any given situation, no matter how impossible or out-of-control it may seem.

What then does “fear the Lord” mean?

I picture a cliff, maybe those white cliffs of Dover that I’ve often seen in pictures. Tall and sheer, the face goes straight down to the rocks with wild, crashing surf below. Is there a path along the edge of those cliffs? I imagine there is. If I were there, walking that path, would I be afraid? No, not in a trembling, don’t-look-down kind of way. But I would be afraid in that I would have a healthy respect for the fact that were I to walk too close to the edge, or get silly and not pay attention to where I was placing my feet, or if I was to close my eyes and step out blindly, then I’d be flaunting the fact that this is a place where life-and-death danger exists. This display of natural beauty and grandeur is also unforgiving in it’s potential to do harm. The cliff may be spectacular, but at the same time the law of gravity must be fulfilled. If I get too close to the edge, gravity will prevail.

In the same way, God, in His perfection, is a just God. If I behave in a frivolous manner, if I flaunt His commands, or flirt with evil, as loving as God is, justice must be fulfilled. If I get too far from Him, justice will prevail and I’ll be forced to face the consequences of my behavior. This kind of fear is respectful, reverential. God’s character is equally loving and just. Knowing that means I behave accordingly.

Still, can I come to Him anytime, with anything? Can I walk His path with confidence? Of course. As long as I am humble, thankful, and honor who God is, then there is no need for knee-knocking fear. He sent His son for just such occasions!

No comments:

Post a Comment